Build Your Future With An Administrative Professional Certificate
CERTIFICATE IS PENDING STATE APPROVAL
The Administrative Professional Certificate Program is designed to build upon the skills learned in the Business Information Worker I (BIW I) Certificate Program to prepare students for the next level of office and administrative support positions, including administrative assistant, administrative associate, administrative secretary, administrative specialist, administrative technician, clerk typist, department secretary, office assistant, secretary, and staff assistant.
Upon completion of the program students will be able to:
- Demonstrate the key elements of workplace professionalism and customer service
- Create letters, memos, and reports in Microsoft Word utilizing proper business formatting techniques
- Manage emails, schedule appointments, and organize contacts using Outlook
- Solve business mathematical computations and manage personal finance
- Understand fundamental workplace skills in computers, information processing, and the Internet, including hardware, system software, networks, security, privacy, and cloud computing
- Utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access to complete administrative tasks and projects reflecting professional standards
- Integrate Microsoft Office applications to meet workplace project needs
- Type alphanumerical text at a rate of 50 net words per minute (NPWM) with five (5) or fewer errors
Additional Eligibility Requirements Include:
- Must be 18 years or older to enroll
- Must complete an NOCE Admissions Application
- Must complete an online Orientation at least 24 hours prior to registering
- Students have basic English reading, writing, and speaking skills and/or be at an ESL intermediate low level (recommended)
- Students have basic math skills (recommended)
Frequently Asked Questions
Upon completion of this program, students will be awarded a certificate.
All NOCE Administrative Professional Certificate courses are tuition-free. However, students are responsible for covering the cost of textbooks, course supplies, and a parking pass.
The program can be completed in as little as six months.
Average salary per year in this field ranges from $24,720 to $39,470 per year.
Career opportunities upon completion of this certificate include:
- Administrative Assistant
- Administrative Associate
- Office Assistant
- Clerk Typist
- Administrative Specialist
|Number of Jobs in 2018||265,719|
|2018-28 Job Growth||3 %|
|Entry-Level Pay in 2018||$28,642/ Annual, $13.77/ Hour|
|Median Pay in 2018||$38,064/ Annual, $18.30/ Hour|
Salary and employment outlook is for Orange County, CA and will vary depending on the skill, experience, employer, and geographic location.
Degrees & Certificates
Students who enjoy using computers for various applications, have strong interpersonal and communication skills, and enjoy providing customer service should consider starting the Business Information Worker Program at North Orange Continuing Education (NOCE) as your first step to a career in various industry sectors.
Administrative Assistants are responsible for a variety of administrative and clerical duties that are necessary for organizations to run efficiently and effectively. They often serve as information managers in an office, scheduling meetings and appointments, organizing and maintaining proper electronic files, managing projects, conducting research, and providing information via phone and email.
People in this career often have these skills:
- English Language – Reading, writing, and speaking with co-workers and customers usually at or above an ESL level of intermediate low.
- Writing – Writing things for co-workers and/or supervisors
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
- Computer and Software Knowledge – Creating spreadsheets, composing correspondence, and preparing presentations using various applications
People in this career need skills such as:
- Attention to Detail
There are many benefits to completing the NOCE Business Information Worker Certificate Program. In addition to having access to the latest computer software programs, students will develop the foundational skills and knowledge to be a dynamic employee within multiple industry sectors. This program also offers students the opportunity to practice interviewing techniques to prepare for job interviews.
Administrative Assistants have careers that often grow into the following positions:
- Administrative Manager
- Executive Assistant
- Office Manager
- Project Coordinator