Build Your Future With A Medical Assistant Certificate
The Medical Assistant Certificate Program prepares students for an entry-level position as a medical assistant in an administrative (front office) or clinical (back office) setting. Graduates will be ready to take the National Health Career Association’s Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA) and/or the Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (CCMA) examinations. Courses give students the knowledge and skills to assist physicians, podiatrists, chiropractors, and other health practitioners.
Upon completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Assist physicians with physical examinations
- Collect and input patient medical history into a computer
- Create and manage patient files and various medical reports
- Process medical insurance claims
- Understand the legal and ethical requirements of healthcare
- Perform exam room procedures
- Describe the use of healthcare informatics and data management systems
- Understand the process and procedures for reporting lab results, collecting specimens, drawing blood, and administering medications
Additional Eligibility Requirements Include:
- Must be 18 years or older to enroll
- Must complete an NOCE Admissions Application
- Must complete an online Orientation at least 24 hours prior to registering
- Must purchase and wear Medical Assistant Program uniform (scrubs) for all classes
- Should have basic English reading, writing, and speaking skills and/or be at an ESL intermediate low level
- Should have basic math skills
Frequently Asked Questions
Upon completion of the program requirements, students will be awarded a Medical Assistant certificate with an emphasis in either Front Office or Front and Back Office work.
All NOCE Medical Assistant Certificate courses are tuition-free. However, students are responsible for covering the cost of textbooks, course supplies like scrubs, and a parking pass.
The MA program can be completed in as little as ten months.
Average salary per year in this field ranges from $24,390 to $34,640 per year.
Some of the positions listed below may require additional training and/or testing, such as Certified Medical Assistant. Jobs in this field/industry include:
- Medical Assistant (MA)
- Medical Office Assistant
- Certified Medical Assistant (CMA)
- Clinical Assistant
- Medical Reception/Receptionist
- Medical Administrative
|Number of Jobs in 2018||9,569|
|2018-28 Job Growth||22% (Much Faster Than Average)|
|Entry-Level Pay in 2018||$28,808/ Annual, $13.85/ Hour|
|Median Pay in 2018||$34,715/ Annual, $16.69/ Hour|
Salary and employment outlook is for Orange County, CA and will vary depending on the skill, experience, employer, and geographic location.
Degrees & Certificates
Those who complete the Medical Assistant Certificate Program will earn a certificate in one of two areas:
- Medical Assistant: Front Office
- Medical Assistant: Both Front and Back Office
Students who enjoy helping others and working with doctors, physicians, and nurses should consider starting the Medical Assistant Certificate Program at North Orange Continuing Education (NOCE) as the first step to a career in the healthcare industry.
As a medical assistant, graduates perform administrative and clinical duties in the offices of physicians, hospitals, and other healthcare facilities. Administrative duties may include scheduling appointments, maintaining medical and billing records, and coding information for insurance purposes. Clinical duties may include taking and recording vital signs and medical histories, preparing patients for examination, and administering medications as directed by a physician.
People in this career often have these skills:
- Speaking – Talking to others
- Social Perceptiveness – Understanding people’s reactions
- Active Listening – Listening to others, not interrupting, and asking good questions
People in this career need:
- Concern for Others
- Attention to Detail
There are many benefits in completing the Medical Assistant program. Students prepare for a nationally recognized industry credential, receive a hands-on experience, and increase their marketability through enhancement courses such as Medical Coding.
Medical Assistants have careers that often grow into the following positions:
- Healthcare Administration
- Medical Billing/Coding
- Medical Secretaries
- Office Manager
Medical Records/Health Information Technology (available at Cypress College)